“O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort justice or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 135]
The Brown Hijabi:
Suhaiymah Manzoor-Khan is a 23 year old Muslim woman and third-generation Pakistani in the UK. She was born in Bradford, raised and state-schooled in Leeds and has graduated from a history degree at Cambridge University and masters in Postcolonial Studies at SOAS.
She writes and speaks about politics, race, gender, feminism, Islam, being visibly Muslim, Eurocentric academia, decolonising minds/bodies and more. The aim of this blog is to create space. Space for her voice and space to be able to think.
Suhaiymah will be contributing to an anthology of essays by hijab-wearing women in Britain called Cut From The Same Cloth published with Unbound. Pledge to guarantee yourself a copy of the book and support the groundbreaking collection of essays which stand in the face of hijab-splaining and tokenisation.
In relation to performances, writing, speaking, workshops or other use the following:
If Suhaiymah’s work has been enjoyable, validating or educative to you then please consider supporting her labours through this link. All contributions can be made anonymously.
– Fly Girls of Cambridge blog, https://flygirlsofcambridge.com/.
– The Independent, ‘Burkini Ban’ article, 24/08/2016.
– The Cambridge Student, ‘Taste of Ramadan’, 5 week column, 2014.
– sister-hood, ‘Nothing ‘neutral’ about the hijab ban’, 28/03/2017.
– The Independent, Lammy Review article, 9/9/2017.
– The Women Who Speak Without Interruptions, 12/05/2016.
– Wandsworth Radio, ‘She Speaks with Katy Davis’, 11/12/2016.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Soch of the Week’, from 2:15:00, 19/1/2017.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Reports’, from 05:42, 11/5/2017.
– SASSchat Podcast, ‘Cultural Appropriation’, 06/2017.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Poet Suhaiymah…’, 10/07/2017.
– Muslim Vibe Podcast, ‘Female Muslim Empowerment’, 10/07/2017.
– Khidr Collective, ‘Launch Night Video’, 14/07/2017.
– Middle East Eye, ‘Poet Suhaiymah…’, 17/07/2017.
– BBC Radio 4, ‘The World Tonight’, from 41:45, 17/07/2017.
– The Islam Channel, Women’s AM, 19/07/2017.