“O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort justice or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 135]
The Brown Hijabi:
Suhaiymah Manzoor-Khan is a 22 year old Muslim woman and third-generation Pakistani in the UK. Born in Bradford, raised and state-schooled in Leeds, graduated from a history degree at Cambridge University, studying Postcolonial Studies at SOAS 2016-2017.
She writes and speaks about politics, race, gender, feminism, Islam, being visibly Muslim, Eurocentric academia, decolonising minds/bodies and more. The aim of this blog is to create space. Space for her voice and space to be able to think.
In relation to writing, speaking, performing poetry, workshops or other use the following:
Suhaiymah is a student on full scholarship. If her work has been enjoyable, validating or educative to you then please consider compensating her labours through this link. All contributions can be made anonymously.
Women of colour often bear the burden of doing undervalued and unpaid labour.
– Fly Girls of Cambridge blog, https://flygirlsofcambridge.com/.
– The Independent, ‘Burkini Ban’ article, 24/08/2016.
– The Cambridge Student, ‘Taste of Ramadan’, 5 week column, 2014.
– sister-hood, ‘Nothing ‘neutral’ about the hijab ban’, 28/03/2017.
– Wandsworth Radio, ‘She Speaks with Katy Davis’, 11/12/2016.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Soch of the Week’, from 2:15:00, 19/1/2017.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Reports’, from 05:42, 11/5/2017.
– SASSchat Podcast, ‘Cultural Appropriation’, 06/2017.
– BBC Asian Network, ‘Poet Suhaiymah…’, 10/07/2017.
– Muslim Vibe Podcast, ‘Female Muslim Empowerment’, 10/07/2017.
– Khidr Collective, ‘Launch Night Video’, 14/07/2017.
– Middle East Eye, ‘Poet Suhaiymah…’, 17/07/2017.
– BBC Radio 4, ‘The World Tonight’, from 41:45, 17/07/2017.